Technique for locating Mono Landing Gear mounting frame

Subject: Technique for locating Mono Landing Gear mounting frame
From: Paul Stewart <pauld.stewart@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:06:42
We drilled the frame and module in situ but rather than through the frame first,
through the cockpit module first. As a result you have much more roon to get
a right angle drill into position - the lower bolts were drilled from insde of
the tunnel out into the footwells and the oposite for the upper ones.

We located the position for the holes by sighting down the tubing of the frame
and then drilling a positioning hole aft of the end of the frame legs with a
1/16"
drill on a best guess basis. The drill bit can now be seen looking down the
frame legs and its position relative to 'ideal' determined. Leaving the bit
in that position we than measured forward to get the for/ aft position and
drilled
a finally positioned pilot hole with another 1/16 drill. Again by sighting
down the framer legs you can get your drill to go exactly across the midline.
These holes were then enlarged to the final diameter. Our tiny sighting holes
were stuffed with redux when we bonded the frame in.

Nick I think you will have trouble with a heated needle - the corners of our
cockpit
module where the legs fit in are reinforced with plates of aluminium

Regards

Paul  #432