Crawling in back of the fuselage

Subject: Crawling in back of the fuselage
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:11:59
 <146.3911ef7.2909da25@aol.com>
 <001301c15df7$df99fa00$7b08883e@oemcomputer>
 <3BD9A459.CB8EB0C6@ameritech.net>
 <1004124157.3bd9b7fdc22af@proton.kaon.co.nz>
 <3BD9F497.43EDEC75@ameritech.net>

Tony K describes in his excellent web sight the highly uncomfortable
journey into the rear fuselage to install the pitch stop.

There is a way to avoid the crawl in the back. Too late for you now of
course but not for some. On a couple of the Classics I have helped with we
took a splash from the fuselage top, then temporarily bonded it to the top
of the pitch rod containment bulkhead. This was done by taping the splash
into its correct position in the upper fuselage, putting blobs of 5 minute
on the bulkhead then assembling to two fuselage mouldings with clecos until
the 5 minute epoxy set. The lower fuselage was restrained in its cradle of
course.

Now we were able to take the fuselage top off leaving the splash in place
on the bulkhead. We made the attachment brackets, described in chapter 21,
p 5 of my manual, in comfort with no difficulties like lying on our backs
in the tail cone. We also fitted the upper and lower pitch stops at this
time using a U shaped moulding bolted to the sides of the bulkhead.

Another bonus here was that we could get the pitch control adjustment set
up accurately before bonding on the top.

When the fuselage top was finally bonded on Redux was applied to the top
surface of the splash to bond with the inner skin of the fuselage. A very
awkward job made relatively easy and more accurate.

We also used the same technique to make the rear bulkhead upper flange,
another job requiring great dexterity at arms length in a very confined
space. I have a couple of jpegs which I will attempt to get onto the Europa
forum support site.

Graham