Re: Tying down a Trigear

Subject: Re: Tying down a Trigear
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:40:10
> I tie my trigear (not Europa) down with two luggage straps. One slipped
> between
the spinner
> and cowl and one around the tail infront of the fin.
>
> regards

> Jerry

I presume that's to get you by on a RON someplace, and you can bank on
the weather forecast, and pretty clever.  But for permanent tie-down,
not at my field at least.  On the southern Lake Erie shore, and 70 MPH
courtesy Canada happens at least annually.  And then there's the
frequent waterspouts (over land, they're called tornados, but
dissipate to just hellacious winds over the shoreline, as they're not
usually associated with Cumulo Nimbus).

Forces exerted can be hefty, and the engine mount can take so much.  I
flew into Erie, PA, once for dinner, in the restaurant overlooking the
main ramp.  A (relatively) little, pushed back, USAir MD-80 driver
used a bit more combustion than necessary for breakaway thrust, with
nosewheel cocked.  Had to be at least 200 ft. from a row of parked
planes, but I swear some of them went briefly airborne, one after the
other.

Came a cryptic announcement over the airport PA sys, "Will the owner
of any aircraft no longer parked where you left her, please telephone
the tower on extension [xxxx]."

Regards,
Fred F., A063