Re: Electrical bonding of fuel system components

Subject: Re: Electrical bonding of fuel system components
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:48:49
 <0C410FDF86B8D411AF280000F8796B85C5BFEE@elmo.celsiustech.com.au>

>I am flying ZK-UBD which started its life off as VH-UBD.
>
>A braid runs from the filler neck to the engine block. Another braid runs
>from
>the engine block to the undercarriage arm which has 'Earth" handwritten on
>it.
>The metal screens for the fuel lines are also grounded.
>
>This passed Australian fuel system bonding requirements.

I would also suggest grounding the fuel breather tubes on the roof. I
suspect this is where the spark Harald and Jens had was generated.
  Thoughts: a Van de Graaf type generator, fuel going in and running down
the inlet pipe, evaporating in the tank then flowing up the breather pipes
and out at the top?

Another question, a new car was recalled recently, (the BMW / Rover Mini)
for insufficient attention to electrostatic risk when refuelling. I don't
know the details, but it sounds similar to our problems

Graham