Flying: Fife from SE England.

Subject: Flying: Fife from SE England.
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:29:38

I've just returned from another weekend in Scotland. The farmstrip I flew to
was Kingsmuir (Sorbie) in Fife. It's listed in the UK Farmstrips guide and
is extensively used by parachutists. I strongly advise contacting the owner
AND club, prior to any visit.

The southern coast of Fife and the Firth of Forth is a beautiful and
spectacular part of the country. Seabirds nest in their thousands on the
Bass Rock and a number of picturesque fishing villages hug the coastine from
Elie along to Crail.

With a strong north-north westerly directly into my path (circa 25 kts), my
progress to Scotland was significantly hindered, but the return trip the
following day was assisted.

The following figures reflect this:

Straight line distance 290 nm (330 st miles) + 5% approximately for track
and drift.

Overhead - overhead, approx figures

Time up:   3hrs 5 mins (3hr 11 min engine time) Fuel 51 litres. Av speed  97
kts (112mph)
Time down: 2hrs 5 mins (2hr 10 min engine time) Fuel 40 litres. Av speed 144
kts (166mph)

My Rotax 912 and Mk 1 Europa functioned without fault. RPM was 52-5400
throughout. (Flydat)

On the return leg, at one point I climbed to nearly 10,000ft at one point,
but had to descend due overcast cloud cover. Generally, save for the wind,
the weather was satisfactory throughout the trip.

Alan

Alan. D. Stewart

14 Goddard Way                                 'phone : +44 1245 264186
Chelmer Village                                work   : +44 1245 275104
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR                      email  :
alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk

            office email :  alan.stewart@marconi.com