Pitch push rods.

Subject: Pitch push rods.
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:34:30
I don't believe I have seen any one ask about this and I am suprised
it hasn't come up.

I am setting up the pitch pushrods, torque  tube and that whole mess
under the cockpit.  Yes I did have the same problem that I believe Tony K
had where  the centerline of the pushrods  didn't match the centerline
of the aileron torque tubes.  I did the same fix, thanks Tony. Though I did
measure the distance and got a good measuerment at least  with my tape
measure. The pitch  torque tube was slightly off.  A word of advice to
those who have not intstalled your aileron torque tubes yet.  When
positioning those puppies and getting ready to mount the rear bearings use your

actual  pitch torque tube as a jig to set it up. Make some sort  of
plug to  fit inside the aileron tube  that hooks to each of the pitch
tube mounts on centerline that way you will be absolutely  sure of being on
the money.

Enough of that, now for my question.  I have found that the pitch push
rods as you know have to rotate inside the aileron tubes. However
they  are constrained where they are attached to the pitch  torque
tube. The ball end of the rod offers some degree of freedom  to allow
rotation however it doesn't offer enough  to accommodate the full travel of
the control  stick in both left and right directions.  In order to
achieve this one has to leave the  locknut  loose on the rod end by
the stick so the the ball end rotates slightly on it threads.  Though I
have the cockpit upside down I know when I am sitting in it the control stick
won't go as far because my legs will be in the way. However  the situation
with the stick at its max travel should not cause the rod end to bump into the

pitch torque  tube  mounting tab for it. I have not gotten to the
point  of plugging in the wings yet. Does  the full movement of the
ailerons constrain this motion so that the pitch push rods don't rotate far
enough  to make this a problem?

Any thoughts or history will be much  appreciated.

Thanks  guys,

Steve Hagar

A143

Mesa, AZ