Re: Diesel -icity

Subject: Re: Diesel -icity
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:51:46
>Waxing. Diesel fuel tends to solidify at low temperature. This could be
>a real problem if you used road diesel (DERV, gas-oil) in an aircraft
>that has stood for a protracted period at temperatures at or below 0
>degrees (c) or during flight at altitude.
>
>A solution to both these potential problems would be
>to use conventional 3/8" aluminium fuel pipe with tried and tested AN
>fittings, routed as far from the outside of the A/C as
>possible (high in the centre tunnel) and lagged.
>Nigel

Not really a problem, the engine is designed to run of Avtur, which doesn't
wax. Might need to add a bit of lubricant for the pump perhaps? I haven't
asked the question.
Some of the petrol Europas are using solid aluminum as far as the firewall,
which helps to cure the smell. I just had a few tank outlet fittings made
for this purpose.

Graham