RE: Stall strips

Subject: RE: Stall strips
From: Jim Thursby <athursby@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:07:40
Hi Terry, The best report I can relay from personal experience was when
Keith Wilson and I flew the two demonstrator airplanes to Copperstate  AZ,
then Cable  CA, and then Montrose CO. We did takeoffs at density altitudes
up to 10,000 ft, at or even "slightly over" ;-) gross weight. One plane
turbo, one not. The 912S one has a whirlwind prop. We experimented with
different flap settings on the trike/912S and never found it to be wanting
for takeoff performance. I personally have had the trike up to 14,5000 feet
in the test program for that plane, and it was still climbing at 400 or so
feet per minute. The plane is on its way home as we speak and when it
arrives I will take it up to 8 or 10 thousand and try some full flap climbs.
I probably will not be able to find an 8,000-foot density altitude runway
otherwise in Florida! I'll post the results here then.

           Regards,
       Jim Thursby