Re: Fuel Tank Bulges

Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Bulges
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:07:54
Paddy Clarke wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>                     Having read on the site the problems others were having
> with bulges in the fuel tank, I was prompted to have a look at mine. There
> is a significant bulge on the front face, right in the middle, above the
> saddle. This is an XS, so the tank is of the 'new' material that did'nt
> theoretically need soaking before installation, and to date I have'nt put
> more than 40 litres of fuel in it.
>                     It does'nt as yet get close to the aileron cross link
> and I have pushed it roughly back in place with a couple of pieces of wood
> with a nut and bolt between them, though presumably it will bulge forward
> again as soon as the wood is removed.
>                     Does anyone have any suggestions as how to stabilise the
> tank material while it is held back?
>                                         Thanks in advance, happy building,
>                                                 Cheers,    Paddy Clarke
> U.K.Builder #404 XS Monowheel

Paddy,

We have an XS that has had fuel in it for about six
months, and have been flying now for about two
months. Not long after first flight we noticed that
the tank had bulged between the two spacers
sufficient to just touch the aileron cross link.
We tried to force it back, but it is very stiff.
We eventually relocated the port end of the
aileron cross link to the front of the attach point
(moving the starboard end would interfere with the
stb wing spar). This gave us sufficient space to
keep clear of the bulge in the tank, which seems
to have stabilized. I have heard of another XS
with the same problem, with the same fix.

Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD