Re: Radiator and oil cooler dimensions

Subject: Re: Radiator and oil cooler dimensions
From: PreDial@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:18:08
Fred,  You ask good questions.  Dennis gave me a document where he claims the
following:
Wt. 900 lbs, Solo Climb, 1700 FPM, Top Speed 220 mph @18K ft, 50 mpg @ 120
mph.

He further says 1200 fpm climb at 100% cruise climb (100 hp?), 200 mph at 18K
ft and 6.5 gph (100 hp?), 185 mph at 5.3 gph 75% power (75 hp?)

"The intercooler integrated into my Europa does not require any changes to
the cowling or associated structures.  The oil reservoir is moved to the port
side and the intercooler is mounted atop the intake plenum with appropriate
clearance to engine, cowling and foot well.  The 84 cubic intercooler keeps
airbox temperatures below the Rotax 170F max preventing detonation during
full boost climbs on hot days and enhances engine power output.  Reduction in
turbo delta T is typically 40% under heavy load and 50% or better below 75%
power.  37" manifold pressure has been measured at 18K ft.  After 250 hours
there is no indication of vibration induced failure or cracking at
intercooler ports or mounts."

Hope this answers some questions.  I believe there are some photos on Bob
Jacobsons web site that shows some of the installation.  Unfortunately I took
non digital photos!  It's a neat plane and fun to fly.  Incidently, with my
Mooney I learned quickly that it really pays to go to altitude to take
advantage of the increased TAS, less turbulence, less traffic and tail winds
(ocassionally!)

Jim