RE: Araldite 420

Subject: RE: Araldite 420
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 07:26:08
Dave;

Just some items that I found helpful when doing the wing skin.

Have a buddy do the mixing of the components and flox while you are
applying one batch through a cake icing bag. I believe I used about 6 mixes to

do the whole job.

It is recommended that you take a good look at your yellow component's
consistency if it is any bit pasty set the can in a pot of hot water and start

scooping it around inside the can to take away the chrystallization. Otherwise

don't heat it up after mixing it with the blue component, you are adding flox so

it isn't that fluid when you are using it. If it is warmer the working time is

less.  I found that when the garage was just over 80 degrees I had just
enough time to get the job done the slop was just starting to get tacky when I

set the lid on. (about an hour)  However on the other wing it was cooler
and I had more than enough time to do the job. So I would say cooler is better

than warmer for doing the hand work. Warmer is better than cooler of course for

the curing.

Make sure  the lid is all trimmed to fit to your liking and ready to
go. Radius the bottom edge all along the lid where it meets the wing's surface,

basically knock the sharp corner off on the bottom all along the
periphery.  Also don't try to get the edges of the lid line to line with
that of the wing. If you spend some time with fitup before bonding you will note

that if you do this the edge of the lid will want to raise ever so slightly
because the matching feature on the top of the wing mold is radiused. It is much

better to have a small gap to fill than to have to have to sand the edge of the

lid down. Believe me I know.

Put pencil marks on the top of the wing where the ribs balance boxes etc
are so after laying the top down your efforts are most efficient on pushing,
squeezing and laying your weights down.  Know where you want to put every
thing before you start.  Have some clamps available for the wing root edge
and have plenty of paper towels.  The more slop you can wipe away before
every thing is cured the less sanding you will have to do.

Steve Hagar

A143

Mesa, AZ

Subject: Araldite 420

Just about to Araldite top wing skin on.  Can some one reassure
me in use of

Araldite 420.

1. Do you need to warm it up before mixing to get it more fluid?

2. How long is the working time?

3. Any other tips?

Thanks,   Dave Park

--- Steve Hagar