Solvents...

Subject: Solvents...
From: Fergkyle <ve3lvo@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:46:00
Cheers:
            I seem to be a worrywart lately, but stuff just keeps ringing a
bell:

"Mineral spirits may do to, but I've never experienced any damage to
any cured epoxy resin using lacquer thinner or MEK.  I've used it to
clean surfaces prior to bonding, and I think the manual so specifies?"

            I mentionned my intention to use 'lacquer thinner' to a chemical
buddy, also building a Europa. "Jeez, Louise", he cried, "don't buy it at
the paint store! The stuff labelled 'lacquer thinner' has a lot of
contaminants in it. Buy at a proper chemist's where it is labelled 'acetone'
or 'ketone' or 'MEK', or whatever.
            Same on the aircraft:
            Don't open anything labelled "For your salad". It should tell
you what it is,     not what it's for.       Imagine the label on loo paper.
Happy landings
Ferg A064