Re: Engine selection

Subject: Re: Engine selection
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 18:23:39
Given any propeller rpm a large diameter has a higher tip speed and
therefore is more noisy.

High rotational speeds means the air has to be accelerated quickly to a high
speed. That acceleration and high speed leads so losses so if the propeller
diameter gets too large in my opinion it becomes more efficient to use
another blade. If it were more efficient to use single blades (or even two
blades) we would see a lot more of them.

Don't get me wrong sometimes two blades are best. I would just about always
recommend a two blade propeller on a small direct drive engine like the 80
hp Jabiru for example.

Jerry

                                                LTS@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown