Re: navaid devices

Subject: Re: navaid devices
From: Garry Stout <gstout@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:27:40
 05/14/2001 08:27:46 AM

Paul, I think you'll be pleased with the Navaid auto pilot.  I've had mine
installed from the beginning.........about 2 years, and I've been pleased
with it.  In GPS tracking mode, when you first switch it on, it will "hunt"
for a couple of cycles before settling down.  What I mean is that if the
bearing to the GPS waypoint is 80 degrees, and your track is 80 degrees,
when you switch on the Navaid, it will turn you left to 75 degrees for
about 60 seconds, then turn right to 85 degrees, then left to 78 degrees,
then right to 82 degrees, then left to 80 degrees and lock on to the 80
degrees and track you directly to the waypoint.  Everyone says "that's just
the way it is".  A minor inconvenience.

In wing leveler mode it works flawlessly, and quickly.  When in turbulence
I often flip on the wing leveler mode and it keeps the plane straight and
level without my having to fight the stick.

The company I belive, is quite small.  Perhaps a one or two man operation.
They are not big users of web sites, the internet or e-mail.  It's best to
contact them by telephone.  Unfortunately my Navaid is currently "down".  I
believe it's a blown internal circuit breaker.  I have to remove it from
the panel this week, and ship it to them for repair.  Other than this
instance, it's been a reliable piece of equipment.  What I like most is the
peace of mind I get should I ever find myself inadvertently in IMC
conditions.  Not being instrument rated, I am confident I could use the
Navaid to keep me right side up, and get me to VFR weather.  With a little
practice I'll bet one could fly an IFR approach using the Navaid in
combination with their GPS.  Good luck!

Regards,
Garry
N4220S