Re: Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:53:25 +0100

Subject: Re: Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:53:25 +0100
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:48:25
Bob, it starting to sound like it really is an antenna problem, being
unable to receive beyond few miles.  You've said that people can hear
you OK, but an antenna working at 25% efficiency will still put out
about 2 watts from your A200 (theoretically good to several hundred
miles).  Modern panel-mount receivers or base stations with
audio-leveling circuitry reading you loud and clear means nothing.
But 75% loss of received signal is going to give all the symptoms
you've been reporting.

I've not seen an internal adj. on any comm that that requires
in-flight tweaking.  The improved reception could be due to differing
daily atmospherics, or merely reconnecting a poor coax connector.

Any field strength meter you can borrow can compare your xmit output
to someone's else's of similar pwr and at same distance from the
antenna.  Does anybody's base station have a built-in signal strength
meter?  Many do.

Re grounding, just about anything's possible with avionics, but DC
grounding and RF ground are two different things entirely.  There's no
shorts or opens in the antenna coax I hope....

Regards,
Fred F., A063