Re: Trainer wheels for my fuselage

Subject: Re: Trainer wheels for my fuselage
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:36:48
Paul McAllister wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a couple of questions.  I was thinking about making some dummy spars
> to which I could attach some vertical struts that I can put some wheels onto
> the bottom of.
>
> I was thinking that this, combined with the tail wheel would be a convenient
> method of making the fuselage movable in my workshop.  Has anyone tried this
> ?  I haven't fitted the mono wheel yet, so the vertical struts would need to
> be long enough to allow the wheel to swing down.
>
> Could someone give me the dimension between the bottom of the mono wheel and
> the fuselage ?  Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul McAllister
> Builder 363 - http://pma.obtero.net

Paul,

An alternative to attaching the trainer wheels to
the wing spar bushings is to attach them to the
seat belt hard points just in front of the spar openings
in the fuselage side. The advanage of this is that you
can  rig the wings with the training wheels in place
(until you bond on the wing root fairings, which is
pretty late in the program).
We built small four legged stands with castors
and a length of angle iron (1.5 x 1.5 x 1/8 inch)
to attach to the seat belt bolt. Placing the
mounting hole 24" off the floor allows the
mono wheel to clear the floor for gear
up/down maintanence.

Terry Seaver
A135