Re: Europa xs

Subject: Re: Europa xs
From: John & Anne <ocotillo@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 19:21:02
Kevin,

Anne and I just picked up our kit three weeks ago so I can't speak to the
build, but while I was picking up the kit I did get to watch Kim Prout
transport and rig his.  His plane on the trailer is just at 1000 lbs. so
it's easy to push around while hooking it up to the car, and you don't need
a big vehicle to tow it.  Kim was towing his with a Saturn station wagon.
Once at the airport Kim and his friend Ralph took just under 8 minutes to
rig it for flight.  They made it look real easy, but of course they've done
it a few times.  Unrigging and loading on the trailer took about 12 minutes.
Kim has a small hand winch fitted on the trailer which takes most of the
muscle out of loading.  He also built a wooden extension ramp he places on
the ground under the trailer ramp to decrease the angle and make it easier
to load.  Kim was taking some time to explain the process so I'm sure they
could do it faster if they needed to.  The factory claim of 5 minutes is
probably achievable -- with a lot of practice.

Rigging Kim's plane is a two person process.  He has not modified the
trailer or built gigs to allow single hand rigging,but I understand that can
be done.  Instead of investing in single rigging hardware, he has made a
point of getting to know all of the flight instructors at the local FBO and
regularly offers them rides.  That way he usually has help available when he
goes to the airport solo.

Hope this helps,

John Reddy
Builder A213