Re: What Engine Instruments do you need/use on aRotax 914?

Subject: Re: What Engine Instruments do you need/use on aRotax 914?
From: Klaus Dietrich <Klaus.Dietrich@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:31:46

Would just like to add that I know of two cases here in Austria where the
plastic expansion bottle ruptured due to extensive heat and/or pressure and  due
to the fact that the very small vent hole incorporated in the screw cap was
obstructed and possibly even totaly blocked!

Both instances happened on ground during engine test runs on experimental built
aircraft equiped with Rotax 912 and 912S (not Europas).

I would strongly recommend to check the vent hole in the red screw cap of the
expansion bottle!
In my opinion the vent hole - at least on my cap - was hardly visible and seemed
too small; therefore I increased the size of the vent hole to 1,5 mm and also
drilled a second vent hole with a diameter of 1,5 mm.

Klaus