Re: Europa mail: Gap seals

Subject: Re: Europa mail: Gap seals
From: EuropaChris@netscape.net
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:25:26
You are absolutely correct. Drag increases tremendously as the speed goes up.
I don't recall, but I think it's a square law relationship.  I'll have to dust
off my college aerodynamics texts.  The RV's are fast suckers, and still handle
quite well at low speeds it seems.  I'm just itching to go up in my friend's
RV and see how it performs.  I imagine it will be quite the surprise compared
to the 152 I'm training in...

Speed, however, is not why we are building a Europa.  Efficiency, practicality,
rough field performance, and good looks (however an RV-6 taildragger is a hot
looking plane) are why we chose the Europa.  If I wanted to go fast, I'd build
a Lancair, and probably die trying to land off-runway at 80kt with 5" tires
if the engine ever quits.  The XS with those big honkin' flaps and fat tire will
instill me with lots of comfort.  Just recently we had a pilot die in a Bonanza
when he went down in a soft field and flipped over when the nosewheel dug
in.

Chris
A159 XS Mono