100LL Fuel

Subject: 100LL Fuel
From: Garry Stout <gstout@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:26:52
 04/11/2001 03:26:53 PM

john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk forwarded:

Nigel Beale, who sells the Rotax engines here in th UK, has shown me a head
and valves from a 912 which used 100LL. Both were heavily contaminated
with
yellow lead deposites to the extent that the valves could not operate
properly.

Two years ago when returning from Cranfield I topped up half a tank of
unleaded with 100LL. Temperatures were higher on the return flight and
after landing the engine "detonated" dangerously with the ignition off
until the carbs. emptied.. The engine seemed to have conditioned itself to
unleaded and I have never put anything else in it since.

Graham G-EMIN

My initial tank of fuel was auto fuel (mogas).  I had problems from the
beginning, with vapor-lock.  The engine simply wouldn't start when warm.  I
switched to 100LL avgas, and have never since had a problem.  With over 100
hours using exclusively 100LL I have had no problems.  I changed out my
spark plugs once at about 60 hours, even though they didn't need it.  I
believe 100LL will work just fine in the Rotax engines, but you need to
keep an eye on your fuel filters and your spark plugs.

Regards,
Garry
N4220S
(813) 878-3929