Re: Have to tell you.....

Subject: Re: Have to tell you.....
From: Dr. Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:01:37
Hi Ferg:

What a mess!

We were caught as well, for a heart-pounding 30 minutes as well
until we discovered that we had also accidentally reversed the
torque tube as well. Luckily everything fit in the end as I did
assemble the entire torque tube to tailplaines in the correct order.

One tip:

Our canoe is badly twisted by 0.6 degrees which we established
after a full week of measuring the daylight out of the fuse. So, when
we mounted the torque tube we had to use a special jig and later
resorted to a water bucket pulling straight the back of the fuse to
be able to glue in the torque tube at ZERO degree to the fuselage.

Guess what we noticed after the bearings were in: removing the
water balast and the fuse slipping back to 0.6 degrees to its old
bad habit, the torque tube STIFFENED like you wouldn't believe.
Sure it has to. Luckily we were able to anticipate this problem
before, working with a superbly advising friend, using common
sense and not listening to the manual. We managed that the tube
will be beautifully free once the top is on as we have made
provisions that the top will hold the tube then at ZERO. I guess
there are tubeless tires and jigless fuselage assembly procedures!

However,  what will happen to all those builders where the tube is
free BEFORE the top is on, and then comes the day the top might
twist the tail a bit...? Stiff tubes, unfortunately. The manual leaves a
lot to be desired here, which can be easily remedied by taking a
few important steps: mark EVERYTHING you disassemble, aim for
final stage of assembling alignment when putting in bearings,
especially such large and wide one used in the tailplane. Pop on
the top and verify that everything is STRAIGHT and in order. Then,
glue in the bearings.

We are stuck right now with the bearings for the nosewheel which
cannot line up with the cross tube of the gear mount frame
because the boys doing the monowheel-mod two-extra-tubes-weld-
in-job managed the cross tube to be bent out of shape. Nice job,
though...

Still a great kit!
Christoph Both, #223, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada