Re: Headset recommendation?

Subject: Re: Headset recommendation?
From: Chris and Susan Beck <n9zes@execpc.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 14:46:11
Thanks for the great info, Shaun!  Today, finally, I had my first lesson, after
being weathered 3 times in two weeks.  After yesterdays 2 mile visibility, today
dawned cold, clear and windy.  I didn't think we'd go up, but indeed we did.
Winds were 15 gusting to 20 pretty much right down the runway, but it was pretty
bumpy until we got above the scattered clouds.

It was also my first test of the Lightspeeds (the std. passive model) and I must
say they were quiet, comfortable, and had excellent audio.  After an hour of
wearing them, I didn't feel the urge to rip them off as I've known to with
wearing DC's in the past as a pax.

So, I've got a whole hour in the log book, two landings and two takeoffs - with
some help from my instructor, of course.  He's one cool cat, that's for sure.
If I was in his shoes, I'd have freaked out.  Boy how I can't wait to fly our
Europa, tho....

That's it for now.

Have fun!

Chris

Shaun Simpkins wrote:

> Being only 5 miles away from the Lightspeed headquarters, I was able to get
> on of the first pair of the QFR Solo ANR headsets.  These are the QUIETEST
> headsets on the market, even though their ANR reduction may not be
> as great as the 15K/20K/25K.  Their price, at $289, is superb and frankly
> stands to cannibalize sales of their
> older line.
>
> The QFR series offer over 28dB of passive noise reduction, as compared to
> about 24dB for regular passive
> and typical ANR sets.  The ANR improves noise reduction by about 12-14dB in
> the critical 50-250Hz frequency
> range.  The QFR series is based on the best industrial ear protector on the
> market, the Howard Leight Leightning,
> which offers 31dB NRR.  I use this protector in the shop, and it is
> fantastic, far better than the other junk you
> would pick up at the Home Depot.  It costs about $25, but you have to get it
> at an industrial safety store. IMHO,
> Lightspeed is doing it right by starting with the best passive noise
> reduction they can get.  Bose, for example,
> depends almost totally on their active noise reduction, with the result that
> their phones are useless if the electronics
> fail.  If the Solos fail, you still have the best passive phones on the
> market.

<lots of great stuff snipped>