Carb heater tests

Subject: Carb heater tests
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:22:36
Dear Brian and all,

I recently e-mailed that I had noticed my carb heater went down to 38 degrees
C when flying in near zero temp. I questioned if the heater was doing any
more than the radiant heat from the exhaust pipes were in terms of keeping
the carbs warm.

Today I took BYSA out in a 4 Degree climate with the heater turned off. The
carb temp reading went down to 11.5 C. I switched the heaters back on (landed
first of course), and I could not get the temp reading to go below 45C.

The conclusion has to be that the Skydrive heaters do heat the carbs up in
really cold conditions. I guess I will keep them switched on. I may have to
eat my words, but only if someone's Rotax engine actually stops from carb
icing.

Now all I have to worry about is valve spring seats!

Happy Europing ....... Bryan Allsop