Re: [Re: [RE: Future upgrades question]]

Subject: Re: [Re: [RE: Future upgrades question]]
From: Paul & Liz Atkinson <paulliz@cix.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:08:01
In article <3A6E215D.965FD6B1@ameritech.net>,
fillinger@ameritech.net (Fred Fillinger) wrote:

>  I've heard that an AOA indicator is not only fairly
> standard now on bizjets and airline transports, but the
pilots really
> like it.

I think most airliners use AOA but don't show it to the
pilot. The data is fed to computers which then shout at you
when you get too slow! I flew an aircraft many years ago
with an AOA indicator and it quickly became indispensable. I
have missed one ever since. You can virtually ignore the ASI
in the circuit and know that as long as you follow what it
is telling you, you will not stall, whatever configuration
you are in. You can also fly safely and confidently at lower
speeds than most would consider safe with just an ASI.
Perhaps one day the "powers that be" will allow that an AOA
and a GPS give you all the info you really need for VFR.

Paul Atkinson