Re: Identifying Alu and Steel parts

Subject: Re: Identifying Alu and Steel parts
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:51:53
I had all my aluminium brackets, spacers and general bits hard gold
anodised. It cost around 40 to have about 200 bits done. Where they are to
be bonded I remove the anodising. I have done the same thing again on my new
kit. I didn't have high stress bits like the wing attach brackets anodised
as I am uncertain if this reduces the strength. However I am sure that an
anodised bracket is more airworthy than one which is corroded.

I also use alodining after scrubbing with Ajax. I have used clear laquer on
some parts treated in this way.

 I am lucky that on the Ban-bi kit the steel parts come already plated or
painted.

Jerry

                                                LTS@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown