Oil line failures

Subject: Oil line failures
From: Carl Johnston <cbj42@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:28:09

Greetings fm the San Francisco Bay Area... I rec'd delivery of my XS kit
in March and have yet to find the time to apply Part A to Part B.
However, I regularly monitor this net to keep apprised of news and
developments.

Was startled to read earlier this week of oil line crystallization
reported following an inflight failure over Florida.  Contacted
bldr/design engineer Dennis Vories, who has 400+ hours on his 914
equipped highly modified/improved [compared with "out of box" version]
XS.  Dennis advised he has replaced oil lines THREE times, is now using
what he believes is the ultimate solution, Aero-Quip 666 spiral extruded
Medium Pressure teflon hose reinforced with Type 300 series stainless
steel wire braid.  As a final measure of caution, he has installed a
fiber based heat shield [similar to brand name "Firesleeve"] for 6 - 8"
---From the banjo fitting.  Dennis is not on The Net, and when I called to
alert him to this problem, he checked & read to me the specs on this
product from the Aircraft Spruce catalogue as good for temps up to 450
degrees F.  That should be enough !!  Says it costs US$6 - 7 per lineal
foot, and that he used this product for all of his fuel lines as well.

Best wishes for safe flying to you all.  Carl Johnston