Bob Nuckolls wirebook

Subject: Bob Nuckolls wirebook
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:40:42
I tried a while back to make use of the wirebook that Bob Nuckolls
offered for download on his website. It was in AutoCAD .DWG format
files, for which I thought I could probably find a translator (I use
a much cheaper CAD application on the Mac). Alas, no, Mr AutoCAD
doesn't release details of that format, so nobody has constructed
translators. It wasn't my top priority, so it took me a while to find
that this was a dead-end street. I wondered if Bob might consider
making the files available as .DXF, the widely used CAD interchange
format, and e-mailed him in that vein at the weekend. And lo!

>Download http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/dxfall.zip

He'd gone through all the files in the wirebook, saved them as .DXF
as I requested, and made them publicly available - what a nice person!

I have downloaded that archive (it's about 750k) and imported the
files into my CAD program. It's a MASSIVE resource, and Bob is very
generous to release all this work so freely to the homebuilders
community.

I know that many Europa builders may be a bit shy of electrics, but
if you're anyway serious about aircraft wiring, you should have a
look at what's in these files. There is certainly more than any
Europa builder should need, and some of it is for bigger & heavier
machinery, but it's all good stuff. If you use AutoCAD, then get the
files as .DWG (which is just called wirebook if I remember), but if
you use any other CAD package (such as the many shareware ones) then
choose the address above for the .DXF versions.

regards

Rowland