RE: Cooler still.

Subject: RE: Cooler still.
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:38:13
Hi! Nic.
Yes there is a Manifold Pressure gauge fitted however it was supplied by the
MT propeller people and I'm trying to "weedle" some manifold pressure/power
relationship/ info' from Jabiru to co-relate the two . Then I can begin to
have some trials etc.
I originally had some of the ram air from the Naca vent directed at the oil
cooler  and since the temp.gauge never lifted I redirected the same air into
the P1 position as cockpit cooling air. So excess engine intake air is
limited and is released through the filter box flap at the top of the cowl
which should add pressure in that area to force air down and out the exit.
We flew Friday last with even more cooling air from the oil cooler shut off
and had a much more respectable oil temperature, for the whole flight.
I don't think "boost for power"  can be achieved this way since it changes
the balance in the carb, and you finish up running with incorrect mixture.
As I understand the Bing Carb being used "self compensates for altitude " to
a certain limit though no doubt!
regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG Europa/Jabiru 3300