Re: Bob Archer Antenna

Subject: Re: Bob Archer Antenna
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:12:46
What are the 2 frequencies that you cited?  It is highly unlikely
you're transmitting poorly on only one freq, as any modern comm uses
digital frequency synthesis tied to a single reference freq.  But at
the extreme ends of the band, both antennas and tuned sections of
comms can fall off markedly in performance.   To be unreadable at 3
miles, though, it may take a bit both problems (compromise in the
Archer's location and mistuning in the comm).

The effect would just weak signal, but if garbled, your Europa may
have a nearby VHF antenna or metal piece of just the right size
causing "re-radiation" only at certain freq's.  Or maybe this problem,
compounded by the above.

A crude comm tester is a handheld comm, in hands of a buddy at some
distance, with a lousy receiving antenna, such as a stretched out
paper clip in place of the ducky.  You want enough noise in the
received transmission to gauge signal strength and still hear any
garbling in the audio.  Xmit up the band at whole or half mHz points
ans see what happens.

Regards,
Fred Fillinger, A063