RE: RE: Europa QA

Subject: RE: RE: Europa QA
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:02:46
At the time my wing kit was shipped the factory included flap and aileron
foam in the wing kit, not in the Stage One kit as now.

The W18 aluminum plates that anchor the flap hinges to the underside of the
wing are installed at locations dictated by the factory located wing ribs;
there can be some builder induced variation in these locations, but there is
not room for much.  The pair of W18 plates located approximately mid-span of
the wing are 49 mm / 1-15/16 inch apart measured from the outside face of
each.  Progressing inboard on the wing, the next W18 is 1049 mm / 41-5/16
inch from the nearer of the two outboard W18, measured between the surfaces
facing each other.  The inboard W18 is 787 mm / 31 inch further inboard,
measured from the same side of each W18.  (This would be more easily shown
with a drawing but I am using the Club's protocol, i. e., no graphics; if
you would like a graphic representation, just ask and I'll send it direct,
not through the Club.)  Within the accuracy of these measurements (made with
a tape measure) there is no difference between the port and starboard wings.

The foam pieces are somewhat easier to visualize without a picture, but not
as easy to measure in the completed form.  I measured along the trailing
edge, viewing the edges of the foam pieces through the epoxy-fiberglass,
with some edges blurred slightly by the flox mixture at the joints, so these
values may not be precise.  For the flaps, the inboard piece of foam is 791
mm / 31-1/8 inch long and the outboard piece is 107 mm / 41-1/8 inch long.
The aileron foam is 1484 mm / 58-7/16 inch long.  There is not much
difference between the port and starboard sides; the most I could "measure"
was about 1.5 mm / 1/8 inch difference from wing to wing, and I don't think
my measurements are any better than that, so let's call the two sides
identical.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070