Re: Glass Cockpit for your Europa for $500 !

Subject: Re: Glass Cockpit for your Europa for $500 !
From: Wilksch Airmotive <mark@wilksch.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:33:53
Dear Keith and others

I think the Colour PDA is not the way to go right now - here's my view.

I have spoken to my friend who is a hot-shot glider pilot (ex national
Champ.)    Many of the top glider pilots use PDA's linked to GPS with some
rather advanced moving map and computing functions.  He says that the colour
PDA's such as the Casio and Compaq are not good enough in daylight.  I
believe that all the glider top men use mono or colour machines but switched
to mono.

I have tested a Compaq 1550 mono (214) machine with dumb GPS which I can
buy for under 100.  I tried the "WinPilot" software which can be downloaded
free.  The UK database to go with this is also free (from some BGA members)
and it includes all class-A and class D airspace as well as any town of any
size and all mil bases etc.  I was well pleased with it.  Cambridge Aero
instruments also offer the base version of their software free but I have
not had time to try this yet.

In a powered AC there is more room than in a sail plane so I think the way
to go is using a sunlight compatible "Tablet" PC like a Fujitsu Sytlistic.
This type of machine really is usable in bright daylight.  There are also
offerings from Hitachi, Casio and Cube (USA).
Jepesson are selling on the Fujutsu + limited software at $US5000 but the PC
can be had for around 2000 in the UK.  The question is which software?
....pity about Isaac Porac's system, it was looking really good before his
(and Graham's) accident.
Any potential partners out there who would like to team up with Isaac.  He
may have lost his sight but his brain is definitely well intact!   The
project also just won a 45000 grant from the DTI before the accident.  The
time for this must be right as the right hardware is just appearing at
reasonable prices.

Isaac is off e-mail at the moment.  I have offered to filter and pass on any
interest/enquiries to him.
Let me know?

Best Regards........MARK WILKSCH