Batteries and Cables

Subject: Batteries and Cables
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:53:15
>Reply to message by Bob Harrison<

Hi Bob

It sounds as though you haven't quite got to the bottom of your problem.
Although 5ft extra run of battery cable will increase the resistance in the
circuit it shouldn't be that significant if the cable is adequate size and
the battery of sufficient capacity. I remember that some cars used to have
batteries at the opposite end of the vehicle to the engine and they worked
OK. I agree that with a large capacity engine and 6 cylinder at that you
will need to choose a larger capacity battery. I would guess that 28Ahr is
a sensible minimum. As the current is about twice that of a Rotax the cable
sizing is bound to be more critical. Make sure that you have the right size
cable (my 4 gauge cable is 9mm diameter including the insulation). One area
that often gives a problem is poor connections. It is quite easy to get a
bigger voltage drop from one poor connection than the whole of the cable.
If you use a DVM at the battery and then at the starter and then at
connections in between you may be able to tie down the problem. I
personally hate the idea of ballast. If you can keep it to no more than the
weight of the extra cable no problem but any more I would seriously
reconsider my options if it were me.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Regards

Nigel Charles