Re: experimental battery box

Subject: Re: experimental battery box
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:13:39
>That is why there was a gap between putting the new battery in and putting
>the battery in a box.  I didn't think there was a problem but then an A&P
>came to look over my plane for possible buying, he said that it was
>dangerous not to have a box. A&P, IA's are the experts.

>>Batteries have been known to explode so I would recommend some kind of
>>secondary containment for safety regardless if it is an RG, flooded cell or
>>whatever.

  Battery boxes have NEVER been designed to contain an exploding
  battery . . . in fact, battery boxes have been DEMONSTRATED
  to make an explosion more likely if not more violent.

  Real life case in point:

  Amateur built airplane, all composite, very nice composite
  battery box glassed right into the passenger seat back.

  Alternator goes into OV. No annunciation of OV condition
  and battery begins to outgas. In the course of "troublshooting"
  the system, a few switches get thrown, one of which is
  the battery master contactor control switch. Battery contactor
  INSIDE the box with the battery ignites ideal mixture and
  blows up battery box.

  No flight-safety damage to aircraft but the pilot's underwear
  was seriously compromised.

  What's the physics of this event? To have an explosion you
  must have three conditions. (1) A source of FUEL that's mixed
  in proportions to produce rapid combustion. Too much fuel/
  oxygen, no explosion; too little fuel/oxygen, no explosion.
  Cook a battery and you disassociate water  H20 into H2 and
  O2 in ratios ideal for recombination in spectacular manner.
  (2) CONTAINMENT in this case was the nicely crafted battery
  box. Without containment, gunpowder simply burns. Wrap it
  up in rolls of newspaper and you have a firecracker. Finally,
  (3) IGNITION provided by the battery contactor located inside
  the battery box.

  LOTS of things could be done to break the chain of events
  that could have been much more serious . . .

  (1) Proper ov protection on the airplane's electrical system.

  (2) No battery box . . . let the vented gasses waft away
  in the breeze.

  (3) Don't mount electrical equipment inside the battery box
  along with the battery.

  (4) Adequate instrumentation on the electrical system to
  KNOW what's happening when stuff starts to misbehave and
  adequate UDERSTANDING of the system to do the right things
  about it.

  By the way, the BIG guys don't have battery boxes either.
  The battery on a bizjet comes with a nice connector on the
  side. You drop the critter into a tray, strap it down
  and plug it in. None the less, there are documented cases
  of an RG battery blowing up when a poorly welded inter-cell
  connector burned off . . . needless to say, a redesign and
  modification to the assembly process was accomplished in
  a hurry.

  Not one government-approved airplane-banger in ten
  understands or can explain what you've just read.

     Bob . . .
     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( and still understand nothing.            )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
           http://www.aeroelectric.com