RE: Mass balance arm cable

Subject: RE: Mass balance arm cable
From: Chuck Popenoe <cpops@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:52:21
Hi Bill-

I set up the mass balance arm as follows:

I use small 1/8" cable clamps, that I believe are called "Kearneys", when
installing Nicopress sleeves.  Once these are tightened snug, you can
exert quite a bit of tension on the cable with a pair of ViseGrips,
and by moving the visegrips next to the sleeve(clamped snugly by the
Nico tool), using the visegrips or a screwdriver as a lever. In this way
the whole business may be rigged exactly before swaging a single sleeve.

If you first swage the cables and thimbles on the arm ends, using the
Kearneys to get a nice tight fit against the thimbles, there is enough
room to use the usual swaging tool. After the arm ends are swaged and
trimmed, pass the other cable end thru a Kearney, Nico, two turns around
the pitch tube, back thru the Nico and Kearney to the Visegrip. Pressure
on the Visegrip allows very strong tensioning of the cables, after which
the Kearneys are clamped tight.  Continue adjusting the positioning and
the tension by loosening and tightening the Kearneys until satisfied,
then swage the Nicos.  The space for the swaging tool is admittedly close,
but it is possible.  When mine were finished, the position is right in
the center of the wood support, and the cable tension is such that when
plucked a low "D" tone is produced.  No turnbuckles are needed!

Happy building,

Pops
A-036