Re: Tailplane questions.

Subject: Re: Tailplane questions.
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:32:35
>1) When checking the drive pins for level, the left side is a degree or
>so out with respect to the right side, i.e. the plane of the pins are
>not parallel to each other.  I don't think this is a concern as long as
>the tailplanes are level with respect to each other before drilling the
>holes for the bushings, correct????

That sounds OK. I once saw a Europa fly with the trailing edges of the
tailplanes half an inch out of line. The pilot, a very experienced test and
aerobatic pilot said he could not tell the difference.

>2) I've noticed a disturbing tendency for the tailplane bushings to gall
>the torque tube, even with light lubrication.

The difficulty is getting rid of all the drilling swarf. That's usually
what causes the galling. A dry lubricant might be good, it would help to
avoid dirt sticking to the tubes. Teflon or something perhaps.

>3) I'm not happy with my hinge fitup on the tabs.  The gaps are too
>large and slightly uneven.  I plan to drill the rivets out carefully and
>use a hairdryer to soften the epoxy to pop them off.

It might be easier to extend the edges with a narrow layer of BID inside
and flox to fill the outer gaps. Tiny bit heavier, there is virtually no
load at the edge.

Graham