Setting up an airstrip

Subject: Setting up an airstrip
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:26:21
This message was forwarded from the bounce bin by John Cliff. Originally
sent on Jun 5.

Later this summer I will be preparing a field to be used as an airstrip.
Most of the grass will continue to be used by a local farmer for silage
however I will be levelling and reseeding the strip itself. Does any one
have any recommendations as to the type of grass to use? The site is fairly
level, low lying and reasonably well drained (it did get a bit squelchy
this April but that is hardly surprising). The subsoil is probably
greensand making it fairly alkaline. The strip will not get vast amounts of
use so the grass doesn't need to be too hard wearing. I presume one chooses
a type of grass which doesn't grow too fast? Are there any other attributes
that are important?

Whilst I don't expect to find an expert in this area amongst Europa
builders/owners perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to
obtain the information I require.

Nigel  Charles