Flying: Islay trip

Subject: Flying: Islay trip
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:05:47

Just back from a weekend in Islay in the Inner Hebrides. I wanted to go
this
time to find out what 'average weekend weather' would do for my plans.

The reality was diversions, delays, frustrations and expense. I achieved

what I set out to do, but I came ever so close to a spending the weekend
in
Barrow-in-Furness !

I have documented the experience, If anyone would like a copy, write to
me
privately.

The aircraft and engine were without fault, and brought the Inner
Hebrides
within 11 gallons and 3 hours of SE England, which, considering the
price of
fuel these days (sorry TAX on fuel), is somewhat of a relief. !

Meantime, here are some figures:

Return Sector:

Islay, North Campbeltown, South Arran, Ayr, Kirconnel, Lockerbie,
Carlisle, Appleby, Bambridge, Masban,
Harrogate, York, Goole, Newark, Grantham, Peterborough, Newmarket,
Haverhill, Rayne.

The consistent tailwind provided a welcome boost to the journey home.
The average benefit appears to be
around 10 knots.

Engine on/off:    3hrs 9 mins.
En-route time:   3hrs exactly.
En-route dist:    368 nm (423 stat mile)
    add another 2% for track error. ( 430 miles)

Av speed:         124 knots. (143 mph)
Fuel used:        49.5 litres approx. (50.5l inc. ground taxi, checks
etc)
Fuel use rate:   16.5 litres/hr
Still air econ:    circa 39 mpg.
RPM:               circa 5000 - 5200 (Flydat)

PS. The thermals, and the rotor from the lee-side of hills were awful !!

Alan. D. Stewart

14 Goddard Way                                 'phone : +44 1245 264186
Chelmer Village                                   mobile: +44 7860
720257
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR               email  :
alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk

            office email :  alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk