Re: That fuel tank & its detritus...

Subject: Re: That fuel tank & its detritus...
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 08:20:55
To reduce the amount of swarf that enters the tank it might be possible to
do the following. Start the hole you are cutting with a hole saw but try to
stop just short of breaking through. Then use a stout sharp knife to finish
the job. This is posibly slightly less easy on Europa tanks as the wall
thickness appears a bit variable but its certainly what I would try and do.

My fuel system has a coarse (quite coarse in any case) filter that sticks
into the tank which can be removed and cleaned in about 5 minutes but which
doesn't actually hold much debris. Then I have a very fine fliter which once
the cowls are off takes about 5 minutes to remove inspect and clean. That on
does seem to be working a little harder. I shall inspect them both on my 100
hour checks this week which will be the third time for the fine filter. Most
of the heavier than fuel bits drop to the bottom of the tank sump which is
about 3" beneath my fuel pick up. If I fill from cans (which is my preffered
method) I always filter the fuel.

I must remember to modify my Jerry cans and add an earthing wire!

Jerry

                                                lts@avnet.co.uk
                                http://www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown