Re: Switches

Subject: Re: Switches
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 18:31:47
>Somewhere in the recess of my mind, I recall something being said about a
>difference between store bought switches and aviation quality switches. I
>have looked through all my library and cannot find any reference that
>directs an answer to this ponderence. Tony Bingelis  says that there are
>probably many 'Radio Shack' switches out there in homebuilt aircraft, but it
>bothers me to go 'downtown' for switches if I am supposed to be getting
>aircraft switches.

   What's an "aircraft" switch? Never saw one with that
   terminology marked on it. There's plenty of advertising
   hype designed to convince folk that a particular offering
   is more suited to aircraft than another product . . .
   but no matter how much you spend for a switch, does that
   guarantee that it will never fail?  If it might fail,
   what is your "plan-b" for dealing with the failure? If
   you've GOT a plan-b, then is the absolute quality of the
   switch all that important?

   I can tell you that the row of rockers that went into
   tens of thousands of single engine Cessnas cost them
   under $1.00 each. The vast majority of those installed
   at the factory are still operating 20+ years later.

> . . . Even 'Electric Bob' seems quiet on this topic other than
>to say that the switch should be heavy duty and a snap action switch which
>is rated for the load to be placed on it. Where is the reference that I
>remember about AC  and DC rated switches? Can anyone point the way?

  I just got back to Wichita after a week of errant electron
  stomping in CT . . . working a proble with the de-ice
  system on the Beechjet. Took the day off from RAC to try
  and catch up on duties at home.

  You can download a copy of an article I did for Sport
  Aviation a few years ago at:

  http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/swtchrat.pdf

       Bob . . .

     ( Knowing about a thing is different than  )
     ( understanding it. One can know a lot     )
     ( still understand knothing.               )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
       http://www.aeroelectric.com