Re: 914 High Cyclinder Head Temp

Subject: Re: 914 High Cyclinder Head Temp
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 16:40:44
>As far as cooling air outlets, there is of course two outlets - one for the
>radiator flow, and the other for the cylinder head air flow.  The radiator
>outlet is free.  The cylinder air outlet has been enlarged, and I even
>removed part of the stainless steel firewall to see if it made any
>difference (it didn't).  However, looking at where the flow from the number
>3 cylinder has to go to exit, there does not seem to be much room.
>
>I had the opportunity today to look at two other Europa 914 installations,
>both tri gear classics with the XS cowling and radiator arrangement.  The
>area around their #3 cylinder seemed less cluttered than mine, and of
>course they had a gaping hole in the rear for air to escape.  Their engines
>ran at normal temperatures.
>
>Bill Stewart

Bill, the only thing I can think of is to check the sealing around the
edges of the coolant radiator. The air needs to go through the fins not
round the sides. Also, the ratio of the exit for rad and cowling may have a
bearing on it. Too much air escaping instead of going through the fins.

Have a close look at the ones that work and compare with yours. Then do
some hard thinking. Sideways as well as plain logic. Logic can lead you
down the wrong road.

Graham