The RG battery has come to WalMart . . .

Subject: The RG battery has come to WalMart . . .
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:33:17
As I was passing by the automotive battery rack in my
local WalMart yesterday, a particular product caught
my eye . . . it was a fairly heafty battery with the
grain-elevator like collection of cylindrical cell
housings.

I picked up a flyer on what is called the EverStart
Ultra, a totally sealed, jelly-roll style construction
RG battery. This is a big beast. I would guess it
to be between 25 and 35 a.h. in capacity. Can't
recommend this battery for many airplane applications.

The noteworthy points of this find are (1) RG technology
has found it's way into the most rudimentary of consumer
product streams and (2) the thing sells for $75. The
next thing to watch for is a line of smaller batteries
with the same technology for use in garden equipment
and perhaps even motorcycles.

Of course we don't know who makes this particular battery
for WalMart . . . it has the look and feel of an Optima
but given the age of the original patents by Gates
Energy Products on the Cyclon series jelly-roll cells,
this battery could be made by anybody. Only a test
in the marketplace will tell us if this battery is
worth the lead and plastic that holds it together.

It's not here yet but I believe it's a matter of time
before you can buy a better airplane battery from your
local WalMart than you can buy from any FBO . . .

       Bob . . .

     ( The only time you don't fail is the last )
     ( time you try something, and it works.    )
     ( One fails forward toward success.        )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
       http://www.aeroelectric.com