"Flap Fits"

Subject: "Flap Fits"
From: Geldermann <dgelder@va.freei.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:34:01
I can't seem to get an e-mail through to Europa in the US or UK.  Does my
question on flaps sound familiar to anyone?

Bob Berube,
I originally tried to send this to Andy since I had his address handy but I
couldn't get the email to go through over the past week.  My flap FL plates
are not
lining up with the W-18s as shown in the manual.  How much can I shave off
the flap tips and still have the flap root close enough to the wing root to
work out O.K.?  (I know the manual gives a range but I need to take more off
than that allows.)  Details of my situation are below.
Thanks,
Dan Geldermann
A139

Dear Andy,
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why my flap FL-1, 2 and 3s do
not line up as close to the W-18s as the manual implies they would.  I built
my flaps before receiving my wing kit but I rechecked the flap directions to
confirm I set the flap cores and FL pieces as directed.  My FL-3 is only 9mm
away from the inboard W-21.  To be centered it needs to be about 19mm from
each W-21.  FL-2 is inboard of the edge W-20 by 7mm, and my FL-1 is 12mm
inboard of the edge of W-19 (I realize the W-19 is to be bent but hope I'm
within tolerance).  This is with the W-20 and W-19 plates clamped away from
the wing root side on the W-18s.  I have already sanded the outer edge of
starboard flap 5mm to move the FL plates outboard leaving 20mm from the FL-3
to the
edge of the flap tip.  The inboard leading edge is now 7mm inboard of the
wing edge, but the flap trailing edge now seems slightly inboard of the wing
root line.  Even if I sand the outer flap tip another 4mm I'm afraid it
won't bring out the FL plates enough and my trailing edge at the root will
then be shorter than the wing root.

My port wing appears to be the same way based on a trial fit.
Help?!

Dan