Re: Fuel line routing in engine compartment

Subject: Re: Fuel line routing in engine compartment
From: carl@photos.prestel.co.uk
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:20:09
You can get proper (fireproof) sleeving for the fuel lines (Aircraft Spruce
or nearest Grand Prix racing supplier !), but some people use plumbers
insulating sleeve (for 15mm copper pipe) which is much cheaper and just as
good. You will need to wrap it in fuel/ fire proof tape after installation -
aluminum tape will do. You can get both products from your nearest DIY store
(Hardware store if you are in the States).

As regards the routing of the fuel lines there really isn't a lot of
choice - it has to go to the front of the engine (to the fuel pump) and then
back to the carbs. Try to make sure that the fuel bleed (the return line to
the tank - mandatory mod ??) takes off at the highest point in the line but
as close to the carbs as possible. If like us you are incorporating a fuel
pressure sensor and a fuel totaliser (computer) then it gets interesting.

It is a good idea to try and keep the engine compartment well ventilated as
the engine temps here can get quite high (especially when taxying or waiting
for takeoff - the worst possible time to for a vapour lock !) but if you
overdo it then there is a possibility of creating carb icing (though Rotax
and Europa say this dosen't happen). We know of carb icing on the 912 when
used with microlights but then there is no warm air to the engine with this
type of installation (unlike the Europa).

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS