Re: Prop Settings

Subject: Re: Prop Settings
From: D.G. Watts <dg.watts@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:46:01
Ben wrote:
> At present I'm operating a Classic with 912 and prop set at 15deg.in
> preparation for short strip(400yds) use.  This setting certainly
> reduces the cruise by 15-20kts and peak revs at take off touch the red
> sector (5600) but I'm not convinced the take off run is any shorter
> than when at 17deg..  Anyone out there with any experience of prop
> settings and their effect on take offs??

We have just gone to an NSI/Warp Drive VP prop after 2 years with the
ground adjustable which was set to 17 degrees.
I am very familiar with the lift off point on one of the grass runways
at Rochester (as it was always just after one particularly large bump).
With the new prop and the engine now running at peak performance, we get
airbourne about 20 yards earlier (definitely just before the notorious
bump). This seems to be in line with others experience, which indicates
about a 10% reduction in take-off roll.
I must add though that the climb is now incredibly better. There is a
point at which we would always, under normal circumstances, expect to be
at 600 ft, where we now pass over at over 1000 ft.

Dave Watts G-BXDY