Re: Wheel Bearings...Aussie View.

Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings...Aussie View.
From: James H. Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:09:47
Tony,
        You are correct to a point.  The outboard bearing is well greased by the
spring assisted piston.  However, you must completely fill the hub (with
no air pockets) in order to get grease to the back (inboard) bearing.
The bearing that fails most often is the outboard bearing.  Your buddy
bearing greaser address that bearing.  The inboard bearing however seems
to not fail nearly as often.  Remember to have a seal that is compatible
with buddy bearings, if you choose to go that way.  You can tell if it is
correct by looking at the rubber lip.  It will be pointing toward the
center of the trailer to let grease out as the buddy bearing cap pushes
new grease into the outboard bearing.  You can tell if it is working by
sticking your finger in the back where the seal touches the axle,  new
grease should be present if it is doing its job.  By the way you can turn
the original seal around and get the same effect. (Providing it is not a
double lip style). The minimum spare is one greased outboard cone in a
zip lock bag.
        Yes, I have considered a dual axle trailer.  The thought of a blow out

while zipping along at 60 + mph gets very scarrrrrry.
        The wheel bearing is a standard bearing that should be available at any
good bearing shop. Based upon your landing style (rough or smooth, grass
or pavement) I would replace them every hundred or so landings. (you are
logging  the number of touch downs aren't you?)  If you are a smooth
greaser then say 200 landings before replacement. If you are replacing
the tire, that would be the best time to do the bearings if you are not
counting landings.   It is a good indicator of the wear and abuse (oops
usage) the wheel assy. has seen.  The tail wheel is a cheep bearing and
should cost  Americans no more than $2.00 each retail. I'll bring some to
Sun-N-Fun if anyone wants some for $1.00 each.  They are what is referred
to as a un ground bearing and they are normally used in wheel barrows, go
carts ect. for slow speed applications (are we slow ???) Again, replace
them at the annual inspection.  Having the tail wheel go semi-unsteerable
or wobbly on landing can effect direction control and as any tail dragger
pilot knows, you must have good control or the ends swap on you leading
to much red faced chatting at the end of the day.

                                                        Jim