Re: WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Europa Trailer Mishaps

Subject: Re: WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Europa Trailer Mishaps
From: 11323@auswaertigesamt.de
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:06:30
Thank God nothing happened to your aeroplane !

This type of incident has been waiting to happen. When you look at
the load and the rpm the trailer wheels are subjected to it comes
out that these are one of the most critical parts of your whole
airplane project.

It teaches us, that the trailer needs to be built carefully - e.g.
tighten the axle nuts as per instructions and grease generously.

Within the first 100 km of the trailer I'd suggest everyone checks
frequently for high temps, strange noise and good fit of the wheels.

I trailered my Europa for 1600 km in one week (for display @ Oshkosh
1995) without problems - the parts of the trailer are commercial
quality - but it is amateur-assembled. I've never greased a wheel
bearing before and fortunately had an engineer show me: PACK IT
WITH GREASE !

Good luck with your plane for the future, I'm glad she survived
the mishap.

Sincerely,

<Thomas, N81EU>