Re: Batt contactor

Subject: Re: Batt contactor
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:47:10

Hi Bob, I notice on your wiring schematics the
inclusion of a diode between the large + and small
terminals on the contactor.

What is the reason for this and what type of diode is it.

  John,

  The solenoid coil that provides a force to close
  the contactor is an "inductive" load capable of
  storing electrical energy. The energy is dumped back
  into the system in the form of a high voltage
  spike when the switch that controls the contactor
  is opened. You'll see a diode across the coil
  terminals of all contactors in our diagrams. Take
  a peek at the photograph on our website at:

  http://www.aeroelectric.com/Catalog/switch/s701-1l.jpg

  This shows how we install the diode on contactors we
  sell that do not have them built in. The intermittant
  duty starter contactors we sell have this diode
  built in.

  Just about any diode rectifier will work. 1N4000 series
  devices are electrically capable of doing the job. The
  diode you see in my photo is a 1N5400 series device
  selected because it's mechanically more robust.

       Bob . . .

     ( The only time you don't fail is the last )
     ( time you try something, and it works.    )
     ( One fails forward toward success.        )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
       http://www.aeroelectric.com