Re: Mod 52, problem B

Subject: Re: Mod 52, problem B
From: Erich D Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:29:33
Ferg, I have just recently completed this mod and found as you did that
the bushing supplied with the mod does not accept a 1/4" dia. drill.
Fortuantely, I had a similar bushing that I had purchased at a fly-mart
that worked perfectly.  I offer the following suggestions when performing
the mod:

1) Find a new 1/4" id by 3/8" od bushing.

2) Substitute a 1/4" steel rod for the 1/4" drill bit in the hole saw.
This way you won't dull the drill bit on the bushing or mess up the
bushing.

3) I found that the hole saw I purchased was slightly oversized so,
spinning the hole saw in a drill I ground the hole saw ever so slighly
with a bench grinder.  This gave a much better fit  for the bushing in
the spar.

4) I drilled out the bushings as follows:  first the root bushings of the
port wing and then the outboard bushings of the S.B. wing and finally the
port bushing in the cockpit module.  With these bushings removed and the
new bushings installed  but not bonded yet, I was able to rig the wings
with the new 1/2" pin (root bushings-port wing, outboard bushing s.b.
wing) and the 3/8" pin (root bushings s.b wing, outboard bushings port
wing).  This way I was albe to insure that the spacing between the
bushings would remain unchanged.  Once I was happy with the fit I bonded
the bushings in place and left to cure.

5) Repeat step 4 but on the S.B. bushings.

4) I found that I did not have to remove either spar cup (one on the S.B.
fuselage, and the other on the port wing.  For the S.B. cup I was able to
ream this out once the cockpit bushing was removed.  This won't be a
problem for you as you haven't bonded these in place yet.

Since you haven't bonded the cockpit module to the fuselage the above
should work rather well for you.  I unfortunately had the wings already
rigged and the incidence set prior to performing this mod.

If you are more confused now than before reading this post I appologize.
Let me know iif I need to clarify anything.

Erich Trombley
A028
Tucson, AZ