Re: Sticking contactors

Subject: Re: Sticking contactors
From: Robert L. Nuckolls III <nuckolls@aeroelectric.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:23:38
>It comes up again - the battery condition is "important" - if that is strong
>enough.

  You bet it is . . .

>I have mentioned it before and would like to do so again.
>
>How do use simple fellows know that the battery is not up to it? Simply, the
>first most of us know is that the battery won't start the engine. By then I
>guess it's a bit late????

  True. This is why the battery should be given the same
  kind of attention in terms of preventative maintenance as
  other things in the airplane. For example, we replace oil and
  filters based on a schedule . . . not because the engine is at
  risk of damage if the commodity is used a few hours longer
  but because "it's time to renew it to INSURE ongoing airworthiness."
  We replace tires not when they won't stay round any more but when
  the tread wear falls below a certain point.

>Any plan to give "us" an article on battery care and covering vital signs as
>to health, and when it's at it's "use by" date? A discussion on voltmeters v
>ammeters might be helpful - I for one, as a layman, am confused by many
>learned comments.

  It can be pretty simple. You have two choices:

  (1) build and use the battery capacity tester described in an
      article on my website at:

      http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/battest.pdf

   or

  (2) do periodic replacment of a battery based on time just like
      you do oil and air filters.  Assuming that you plan to use
      the best kind of battery you can buy (recombinant gas) then
      every two years for the average day/vfr airplane is probably
      a good benchmark. For airplanes flown long cross-country at
      night or IFR might want to look at yearly replacment. I've
      suggested that some airplanes which benefit from dual battery
      installations get a new battery in the main slot and move the
      main battery to the aux slot yearly. For most folk this is
      a 60-75 dollar expense that is trivial compared to other
      operating costs of the airplane. If one objects to the
      "easy" methodology, then see suggestion (1).

   Variations on the theme arise when the battery has been
   inadvertently discharged  . . . and sets for a long period
   of time (left the master switch on). Then a capacity test
   is in order. If the battery seems to be getting weaker in
   terms of cranking the engine, then a capacity test is in order.
   An accurate voltmeter that indicates an operating bus voltage
   no less than 13.8 and no greater than 14.6 will assure you
   that the battery is being maintained by ship's alternator.
   RG batteries do not need attention for long term (over
   winter storage). Put away charged, they're good for a year
   or more with no attention. Put away discharged and they're
   recycle material when you come back.

   Pay just a little more attention to battery selection and
   condition as described above and the problem of sticking
   contactors will be a long way down on your list of concerns.

       Bob . . .

     ( The only time you don't fail is the last )
     ( time you try something, and it works.    )
     ( One fails forward toward success.        )
     (                     C.F. Kettering       )
       http://www.aeroelectric.com