RE: Redux(Ardalite)

Subject: RE: Redux(Ardalite)
From: ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 10:22:49
Hi! Re.bonding on the top fusilage .
Suggest you do a dummy run with screws first anyway to be sure to get good
alignment . Don't whatever you do break the mandrels off the pop rivets
because when you drill out the rivet the drill will be likely to wander off
into the flange .Yes ,I also 'buttered ' both surfaces ,but you need to
'trowel' off any redux that has squeezed out inside and outside, Better have
a long handled tool available for inside!. Use a light behind the join to
get the message through as to what degree of bond area you are achieving
(you mustn't squeeze out all the redux!) If your kit is Mk1 type you will
need a piece of threaded rod (about 3/16" dia, to pull the forward root of
the fin together to meet the lower fusilage joint surfaces . (I also
inserted a piece of suitably shaped 3/4" ply wood to pilot the threaded rod
through and so to enable the lot to be pulled together.) Any out of
alignment in this area needs to be on the port side for successful filling
later, since the starboard side has the inspection plates fitted and to fill
round them is 'pig's ear'. Better to have put all the inspection holes  in
prior to putting on the top anyway, also the reinforcement needed in the
cockpit top area. I also had some locking tabs welded on to the heads of the
bolts which secure the trim motor because when entered from aft will be
impossible to restrain from turning to remove the nuts in the event of motor
failure.
All in MHO though !!!!!!
Regards
Bob Harrison Kit 337 Europa/Jabiru3300 G-PTAG